Earlier this week, I had my usual hankering for nail art. Wasn’t looking for anything complicated, just simple and pretty. Oh, and the tools needed for this particular adventure? They had to be among the supplies already on hand, because I had no intention of braving the torrential elements outside.
Sweetheart, I was then cooking with gas…
Today’s mani is a watercolor sponge job, fashioned with a cluster of bright summer hues, over a vibrant yellow base. It’s the kind of combo I’m most partial to: unique, simple, and abstract (a/k/a mistake-proof).
Want to replicate my Super Easy Watercolor Nails? Here’s how…
1. Apply your favorite base coat, and allow nails to fully dry. Today’s pick: OPI Nail Envy! Next, we’re talking color…
2. Paint 1-3 thin layers (to opacity) of a bright yellow creme, allowing each layer to dry before applying the next. I used two coats of butterLONDON Cheeky Chops for this step.
3. Next, grab a clean makeup sponge, and using four bright polishes (cremes work nicely, and shimmers add pizzazz), swab thick patches of each polish onto the sponge, so that the colors touch at the edges. For this mani, I went with a shimmery hot pink (Orly Fiesta), a bright orange creme (butterLONDON Jaffa), a shimmery leaf green (China Glaze Tree Hugger), and a medium turquoise creme (Essie Cabana).
4. See that polished sponge up there? We’re going to use it like a stamper. While still wet, position the sponge over the left edge of each nail, and while gently pressing down, roll that sponge (in one smooth motion) to the opposite right side. Repeat this step with each nail, applying additional polish to the sponge, as needed.
5. It’s now clean-up time! Use a cotton bud/Q-tip, dipped in acetone, to remove sponged polish from the skin around your nails.
6. Last step: Apply a layer of top coat to seal your uniquely polished watercolor nails!
I told you it was easy!
Well, there you have it: A mani for young and old, featuring super simple nail art, and using supplies you likely already have on hand. Can’t wait to try it again, with a different color palette.
How about you? Are you game for ridiculously simple watercolor nails? Got tips of your own? Let me know in comments.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Here’s hoping you have yourself a blissfully Happy Hump Day. 😉