:: PRESS SAMPLE ::
Recently, our letter carrier delivered a sweet surprise from the fun folks at Incoco: an envelope stuffed with the five newly-released nail wrap (aka nail “appliques”, “stickers” or “strips”) designs, from the brand’s 2014 Sweet Surprise Valentine’s Day Collection. These adorable press and sticks are great for those fashionistas whose nail art skills leave something to be desired; or who haven’t the time or inclination to swing by the salon. In today’s post, I put these pretties to the test…
First up, let it be known that I’m an absolute sucker for calligraphy and typeface, so you can safely bet that Yours Truly, Incoco’s romantic fuschia script “penned” in the language of love (against a background of soft pastel pink), tickled my nail art fancy.
For my second attempt, I went with a semi-skittled look, combining Yours Truly (because I couldn’t resist), with the “lovey-dovey doodles” of Love Spell (center left), and the “sugar-spun” sweetness of Made With Love (center right). Notice the pale pink line that runs vertically down the Made With Love nail? More about that in my pros and cons wrap-up, below.
The last two sets of appliques played a duet in my third and final mani, featuring the glitter-sprinkled Sweet Surprise, and Double Date, Incoco’s foil-like pairing of pink hearts against a silver glitter base. I ended up having to re-do a couple of the nails because of application issues. Since each set of appliques come with 16 nail wraps, in a variety of sizes, it wasn’t a problem finding another one to stick right back on. Still, it’s important to note that the business of applying nail wraps is not always a smooth sail.
Now for the pros and cons, starting with….
- Incoco nail appliques are made of 100% pure nail polish.
- They’re removed just as you would ordinary polish.
- Zero dry time!
- 16 appliques in each set, in a variety of sizes for a customized fit.
- Durable and chip-free for the 8-day length of my test. I’ve no reason to discount the manufacturer’s claims that these wraps last 14 days (but with the speed at which my nails grow, I just can’t bring myself to sport the manicured equivalent of dark roots coming in on a blonde dye job).
- Available in more than 200 styles, featuring a variety of finishes (creme, shimmer, glitter etc.), as well as a ton of stylish patterns.
- Though I’ve become pretty good at at applying nail wraps, it’s not as easy as some might say, and application fails do happen. The most frequent problem I’ve encountered is tearing. FYI, these appliques “give” and are meant to stretch a tiny bit, so as to provide a customized fit around the sidewalls and cuticles. Pull a little too much at the edge, or at the side, and you might end up with a rip, as in the photo to the right. This particular example also highlights a torn free edge. Incoco appliques are to be gently pulled down and over the edge of the nail plate, and then filed free. When I pulled down, I also tore OFF, leaving a ragged edge. Earlier in this post, I talked about the “pale pink line” that ran vertically down the Made With Love nail. Same story. Too much stretch will screw things up. Be gentle out there!
- If you’re a purist and like to “cap” the edge of your nail for uniform color, that’s not going to happen with appliques, Incoco or otherwise, because the capped edge is essentially filed off, leaving it free of color/pattern.
- If you love unique nail art, this is probably not your cup of tea.
- At the current time, Incoco appliques are not available in brick and mortars, and can only be ordered online.
- If you’re a DIY-er, you might find the $8.99 price a bit off-putting, when $8.99 can get you a bottle of lacquer that will last for years.
If you love nail art and for whatever reason can’t do it yourself or make it to the salon, these are a terrific alternative. They can also be thrown into your luggage and taken on vacay, without worry about carrying bottles of lacquer, or fretting about smudging and dry-time.
There’s still time to get your fingers dressed up for the most romantic night of the year! Pick up your own Sweet Surprise nail appliques for Valentine’s Day, by clicking on over to Incoco right now, and be sure to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn of new releases and special savings.
Disclosure: Products used in this post were provided by Incoco for consideration and unbiased review. For additional information, see our disclosure policy.