Blue Skittle Nail Art!

Liz says…

Hello, Darlings! Happy Tuesday! :-D When I was last at my local drug store buying bags of holiday Reese’s cups I came across the gorgeous Beaming Blue from the Maybelline Brocade collection. This polish is SO BEAUTIFUL – a sheer, glittery blurple with a faint duochrome shimmer that flashes between electric blue and soft violet (sadly the duochrome flash didn’t translate to the nail at all). Smitten at first sight, I bought myself a bottle and set it on my desk until I figured out how to wear it. The time is now! Hang along for the journey and I’ll share what I came up with.

IMG_5850

Inspiration hit me hard, and started pulling me in all sorts of directions. Rather than limit myself I decided that a blue skittle nail art manicure was the perfect way to go! Starting off with two coats of Elevation Polish’s Silversword as my base I selected a few blues from my stash and set to work utilizing striping tape, scotch tape, some blue studs, and a striping brush.

IMG_5847

While my initial inspiration was found in Beaming Blue, I really wanted to play with nail polish finishes and textures. One coat of Beaming Blue over Silversword allowed the texture and depth of Beaming Blue to really stand in focus. It reminds me of light reflecting off of the surface of a river – full of movement and life while still being contained. For my middle finger I placed striping tape in a repeating chevron pattern and covered the whole thing with a healthy coat of Zoya’s Song. I love how the shimmery blue pairs against the Silversword background. I used scotch tape to lay down angled sections of Kiss Me At Midnight from the OPI Mariah Carey liquid sand holiday collection – this polish is insane with it’s mixture of blue and silver working beautifully with the rest of my manicure. Outlining the sections with Zoya’s Edie helped to pull the nail together, but it was the placement of a metallic blue stud that truly completed this look.

photo (1)

All yesterday while at work I found myself glancing down at my manicure and smiling (I kept hoping that someone would notice my nails and enjoy them with me, but it wasn’t meant to be [ALAS!])! Blue is my favorite color to begin with, so being able to play around in that color family will always bring me joy. Add some fun and simple nail art techniques to that equation and it’s my idea of a fun night.

IMG_5846

What do you think of this blue skittle nail art mani? Would you consider wearing different nail art techniques on each nail, or is it just too much look for one hand? Let me know what you think! :-D

15 comments for “Blue Skittle Nail Art!

1. February 11, 2014 at 9:00 am

The blue on your ring finger is from the Mariah Carey holiday collection? How did I miss that beauty?! I LOVE how you have different colors, textures, finishes. Perfect! <3

• February 11, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Thanks, Amber!! :-D Kiss Me At Midnight is such an awesome color – can’t go wrong with a blue texture, right?! IDK how you missed it… but I totally recommend it if you’re in the market for a GORGEOUS POLISH!

2. A Mani Maniac
    February 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

Love this! Ring finger the most I think.

3. mybeautyjunction
    February 11, 2014 at 9:44 am

I don’t think it’s too much – it would have been if all nails had carried the angled-tape look, but this is just right and everything is so crisp and symmetric. Especially love the ring fingernail look.

• February 11, 2014 at 10:52 am

Thanks so much (the ring fingernail is my favorite too)! I tend to have a wonky idea of how much is “too much,” so I’m glad that this mani works. :-D

4. A Mani Maniac
    February 11, 2014 at 9:44 am

This may come up double…not sure what happened. Poof, and my comment disappeared. This is gorgeous, and I especially like the ring finger!

• February 11, 2014 at 11:02 am

Ahhh, thank you so much! Hopefully your comments will stay put going forward.

5. February 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Fabulous. I like blue. I like skittles. I like nail art. This is a hat trick, fo shizz.

• February 13, 2014 at 1:40 pm

HECK YEAH! Sometimes I need to just take all my fave things and throw them in a blender. Sometimes it comes out gross, sometimes it comes out like this mani! :-D

6. February 11, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Always so pretty. I wish Maybelline didn’t come out with so many LE polishes although I love the ones I’ve bought.

• February 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Honestly, I’ve never been a huge fan of the Maybelline polishes (could be that I’ve gotten bum bottles, who knows…) but this one really caught my eye. Hopefully they will make it a permanant part of the collection!

7. February 11, 2014 at 10:29 pm

These are just too cute! I used to reserve blues only for my toes. I couldn’t see wearing blue polish on my fingers. I’m glad I got over that!

• February 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Oh, I am SO glad you got over that too! Life is too short to limit what you wear on your fingers – the way I see it, if anyone gives you the business over wearing blue on your tips give ‘em the (well manicured) finger! (Unless it’s your boss… or a family member… or a child… in fact – use your discretion!)

8. February 13, 2014 at 7:17 pm

This is such a cute mani!